You don’t need to be a tech expert to update your motherboard’s bios. Updating your motherboard bios is important for keeping your computer running smoothly and also helps to improve stability, fix bugs, and even add new features.
If you don’t update your bios, you could experience problems like system crashes and even data loss.
In this article, we’ve put together a step-by-step guide that will walk you through the entire process as well as some tips to make the process go more smoothly. Keep reading to learn more!
What Are The Different Ways To Update Your Motherboard Bios?
There are generally two ways to update your motherboard bios. The first is to do it manually, which involves downloading the appropriate bios file from the manufacturer’s website and then flashing it onto your motherboard.
The second way is to use a program like Asus Update Utility, which will automatically download and install the latest bios for you.
Updating your motherboard bios manually:
- The first thing you need to do is download the most recent bios update for your motherboard from the manufacturer’s website. Once you’ve downloaded the file, unzip it and save it to a location that’s easy to find like your desktop.
- Next, you’ll need to create a bootable USB drive. You can do this by using a program like Rufus or Universal USB Installer. Once you have your bootable USB drive, plug it into your computer and restart it. When your computer starts up, you’ll need to enter the bios menu.
- To do this, you’ll usually need to press a key like F2 or DEL when your computer first starts up. Once you’re in the bios menu, look for the section that says “Boot Order” or something similar.
- Change the boot order so that your computer boots from the USB drive first. Save your changes and exit the bios menu. Your computer should now boot from the USB drive.
- Once your computer has booted from the USB drive, you’ll see a screen that says “EFI Shell”. Type the following commands into the shell:
- cd EFI/ASUS/
- Then type:
- afudos /i biosfile.rom
- Replace “biosfile.rom” with the name of the bios file you downloaded earlier.
6. Press enters and the bios update will begin. Once it’s finished, type “exit” and press enter to reboot your computer. Your computer should now be running the new bios version!
7. One last thing to keep in mind is that if you have a custom-built computer, you’ll need to go into the bios menu and disable any overclocking that’s been done before updating the bios. This is because the new bios version may not be compatible with the overclocked settings and could cause stability issues.
Update your motherboard bios using Asus Update Utility:
- Download and install Asus Update Utility from the Asus website.
- Launch Asus Update Utility and select the “Check for updates” option.
- Select the “Install updates” option and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Either way, updating your bios is a good idea if you want to keep your Asus laptop running smoothly.
Tips for updating your motherboard bios
- You need to download the bios file for your specific motherboard model. Do not use a bios file from a different model as this could damage your motherboard.
- Always create a backup of your current bios before updating to a new version. This way you can restore the old bios if something goes wrong with the update process.
- Pay attention to any notes or warnings from the manufacturer about the particular bios update you’re installing. Some updates may not be compatible with your hardware or operating system.
- If you’re having trouble updating your bios, try contacting the manufacturer’s support team for assistance. They should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and get your bios updated successfully.
BIOS updates can resolve compatibility issues, add features, and improve the performance of your motherboard. Updating your BIOS is a simple process that only takes a few minutes. By following the steps in this article, you should be able to update your bios without any trouble.
We hope this article has been helpful and that you now feel confident updating your motherboard bios.
What is ASUS Update?
ASUS Update is a utility that allows you to manage, update, and back up your motherboard BIOS. The utility also allows you to flash the BIOS from within Windows.
Does ASUS automatically update BIOS?
Yes. ASUS provides automatic updates for its BIOS software. You can either update the BIOS through the motherboard’s support website or the ASUS Update utility.
How often should I update my BIOS?
You should update your BIOS when there is a new version available. New versions of the BIOS can provide updates for security vulnerabilities, bug fixes, and new features.