Yes, if you think two monitors are better than one, then you can use an iPad as a monitor. To continue, you have to connect it to the PC. You can do it both wirelessly and with wired methods.
The easiest way is to use a screen mirroring tool through which you can connect both Windows or Mac to iPad and use it as a second screen. To proceed, you have to download the app on your computer and iPad. Next, launch the app on your iPad and tap on the Receive Screencast option at the bottom of the screen. The QR code and Cast code will be displayed on the iPad. Now, go to your computer and open the same app, click on Cast to button and enter the cast code. The computer screen will appear on the iPad. Now whatever changes or tweaks you make on the PC will get displayed on the iPad.
If you want to know about both the wired as well as wireless connections, then we will walk you through the step-by-step process.
5 Ways to Connect iPad as a Monitor or second screen
The most budget-friendly solution is to use an iPad as a monitor rather than buying another monitor. So, go through the different methods mentioned and choose the one that looks convenient for you.
1. Use the Apple Sidecar tool
If you have a Mac device, then you can connect it to an iPad and use the iPad as an extended monitor using Apple’s Sidecar tool. But, before you continue, you need to check out the hardware compatibility. You can go through the user manual or the official website of Apple to understand the compatibility of the operating system as well.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to use Apple’s Sidecar:
- Using the Sidecar, you can share your iPad display on the Mac, so first, you have to log in to both devices using the same Apple ID.
- Next, go to the Apple menu and click on System > Settings > Display in the Sidecar.
- Otherwise, you can also click on Control Centre from the menu bar.
- Now, from the popup menu, you have to choose the iPad model or name that you want to connect.
- Choose the iPad on which you want to set up Sidecar. You can also switch between screen mirroring or separate display options by clicking on the Screen mirroring menu.
- Wait for the connection to get established, and you can use the iPad as a second screen.
The limitation that you can face while using a Sidecar is that it does not support rotation on the iPad screen. So, you have to use it in portrait mode while you have enabled the Extend Display mode. Also, to use the Sidecar, both the devices should be within 30 m of wirelessly connection
2. Use the Deskreen tool
You can also use Deskreen to connect Windows, Mac OS or Linux systems to the iPad. This will allow you to view the entire screen of your computer, or you can also choose any one application to view on the monitor. The best part about the Deskreen tool is that you can also select one application window to share if you are giving a presentation. Moreover, you can also use a virtual display adapter for a secured extended desktop experience.
Here is the process that you need to follow to set it up:
- You need a dummy display plug which should be inserted into an HDMI slot.
- Now, install the app and check if the QR code is visible. Scan the code on the iPad that you want to run as a second monitor or device.
- After establishing the connection, you will get an information page where you have to confirm the IP address.
- The information would include the session ID and also the connected devices, and the OS version.
- Check the details and start a screen share. You need to select whether you want to partially display the monitor or entirely display the screen on the extended iPad.
- Finally, you will be able to use the iPad as a second monitor without any issues.
The only limitation that you might face while using a Deskreen tool is the resolution issue. Also, if there is poor internet connectivity, then you might not be able to create a successful connection.
3. Use a third-party tool to extend the computer screen on iPad
You can also use third-party tools to extend the computer screen to iPad or mirror it. Choose a cross-platform tool that would support both wired and wireless connections. Also, check the compatibility of Mac and Windows as well as iPad to continue with the setup process.
Let’s have a look at the setup process:
- You need to download and install the third-party application on your iPad from the App Store. When you are using the application on your PC, you must always get the desktop app.
- After the installation is complete, the menu will appear on the PC, where you have to make the changes in the settings.
- You can connect the iPad to your computer also using a USB cable which for the iPad has to detect the Mac or PC.
- Now, you can see a notification that “Connect to Mac or PC”, and as soon as you select it, your iPad will start displaying the contents of the computer.
The only limitation that you might find is the price that you have to pay. There are many screens mirroring apps available on the Internet, and some might not have all the features that you are expecting, so choose carefully.
4. Use the AirDroid Cast tool
If you are looking for the best screen mirroring tool that can connect both Windows and Mac to an iPad, then AirDroid Cast is your best bet. You can use this tool and extend the iPad as your second screen.
Here are the steps that you need to apply to use iPad as a monitor:
- Download your AirDroid Cast app on both your iPad and computer. Get it from the official page to avoid any spam links.
- Click on the button Try for free and then launch the app on your iPad.
- Next, scroll to the bottom of the app and tap on Receive screencast or QR code, and the code will be displayed.
- Now, get back to your computer, open the AirDroid Cast tool and click on the button Cast To.
- You have to enter the Cast code that appeared on your iPad.
- Hit the Enter button, and your computer screen will be displayed on your iPad.
- Finally, you can use the iPad as an extended monitor without any issues.
5. Use the HDMI cable to extend the iPad as a second mirror
You can also use an HDMI cable and use the iPad as a second monitor. You need to confirm that your iPad has the Lightning connector feature to proceed.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to extend the PC screen on the iPad:
- Check whether your iPad supports a Lightning connector, then you need to connect the cable.
- Next, you have to connect the HDMI to the VGA adapter or the Lightning connector to the Digital AV adapter.
- Connect the adapter to the charging port of the iPad.
- Now, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the display, i.e., TV or computer.
- Finally, change the video source or video settings to display the screen on the iPad.
Which iPad can you use as a second monitor?
All the iPads that have been manufactured with iPad OS 13 can be used as a second monitor. The list includes all iPad Pro models, iPad 6 and later versions, iPad mini 5th generation and later version, and iPad Air 3rd generation and later versions.